"Pennies and Velvet" in Dead Housekeeping

When you go to the website, you find that the intention of the online magazine Dead Housekeeping is a loving one. For writers, these stories/essays are ways to share your memories of someone who has died with the general public in an accessible way. Suggested in the "About" section, the writer should think about the person "in motion" and "how they did things" and the magazine is a way of looking at "loss through the lens of home." While these are personal memories, just by changing the angle, the writer can get the needed distance to write the story. Imagine something the person taught you and show them teaching it. It's a wonderful way to begin writing. For readers, it is a welcoming window into someone else's world, perhaps a way to connect with others through life


Reading through some of the stories inspired me to reflect on various losses in my life. The one that came concretely to the forefront became the short story/essay "Pennies and Velvet," published today right here in Dead Housekeeping. I hope you enjoy it.

From my 2016 work-in-progress, HOUSEWORK

Comments

Roberta Warshaw said…
What a fascinating site.

I thoroughly enjoyed your writing.
Alisa said…
Thanks for reading, Roberta!
chnorby said…
Thank you for this timely post. I have been reading "The Poetics of Space" and your 'work-in-progress'
HOUSEWORK captures an essence of this concept. I look forward to seeing your ongoing process.

I have been following your blog for a while and appreciate your insights and comments. I often forward your site to friends and colleagues.

Carol
Alisa said…
Carol, I love The Poetics of Space. Your comment makes me want to go reread it. Thanks for reading!